Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hungover

Warning:  This post has no pictures of my children and only includes my rants about Obama and lazy people.  Most of you won't read on, but at least my parents and grandparents will.

As I sit in my office 2 days post election I am still hungover with anxiety and confusion.  I find myself unable to focus on anything other than what the future of our country holds.  I know God is in control and he is our ultimate ruler, but I can clearly see what happens to a nation that has turned it's back on him.  


I joke about being old, but the reality of it is I still have a long life ahead of me and my children have even further to go.  I pray every night that people will see Jesus at work in their lives and that they would see it in their father and me.  Because above all else that is what matters.  And with that said, God never promised this life would be easy.  And it is not going to be easy especially after Tuesday night.


I never gave too much thought to the possibility of Obama being re-elected.  After all, unemployment is higher now that when he took office as are gas prices.  And not to mention the hugely unpopular Obama Care, or so I thought.  I had visions of a 1980 election replay and marveled at the fact that I would be alive for this one.  The one term democrat had an economy that was in the tank, and the attack in Libya looked so much like the Iran hostage situation.  I could just picture it, I had even begun picturing an economic recovery where jobs were abundant and Obama Care was repealed.


But by 10:00 Tuesday night that vision was quickly fading and I was left reeling at what to make of the country I lived in.  So many thoughts ran through my head, Greece's model worked so well I guess Americans thought we'd give it a try too, or are people really that lazy and looking for a handout?  The answer is more the latter and their are numbers that help tell the story.



* 314 million people live in The United States
* Our national debt is currently $16 trillion 
* And in case you were wondering that is $50,000 for every man woman and child.
* 12 million Americans are unemployed (7.9% unemployment, and was 7.8% when Obama took office)
* 47% of Americans don't pay income tax
* 47 million Americans are on food stamps

* And to me, the most staggering stat of all is "about 49 percent of Americans live in households that receive some form of government benefits, according to the libertarian Mercatus Center at George Mason University, based on data from 2010.*"

So let's tax the rich to help with this fiscal crisis we are in.  Well......  The truth is we already do.

Tax Year 2009 
Percentiles Ranked by AGI
AGI Threshold on Percentiles
Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid
Top 1%
$343,927
36.73
Top 5%
$154,643
58.66
Top 10%
$112,124
70.47
Top 25%
$66,193
87.30
Top 50%
$32,396
97.75
Bottom 50%
>$32,396
2.25



The top 5% of Americans pay a majority of the taxes already.  Well, ok, but they should pay more since we are in a crisis.  It's only fair.  Well.........

The CBO has made an estimate about repealing the Bush tax cuts and if we let the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy expire, it will increase tax revenues by about $678 billion over 10 years. If we let all of the Bush tax cuts expire, we’ll generate a total of about $3.7 trillion in additional revenue over the next decade.

So let's break that down.  That's only $370 billion a year if we repeal ALL the tax cuts.  Obama has single handily added $5 trillion to our national debt since taking office 4 years ago.  So if he had a checkbook like most of Americans, he'd be overdrawn.  Until our economy starts moving again and businesses and individuals start paying more in taxes because they are making more money we are going to stay in this mess and no tax on the 'rich' will fix it.

Here is a novel idea.  Let's stop the government spending and regulations and allow businesses to create jobs and tax dollars.  "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers, Southern Baptist Pastor.  There are thousands of businesses that are now having to make tough decisions about layoffs because they can't afford the Obama Care health insurance mandate and must get their workforce below 50 employees. 

So, I said all of that to say this.  If you read this blog and you voted for Obama that's fine, but you are going to need to send the federal government a check for $50K to help pay for our debt because after all, that is your fair share.  And if you voted for Obama and think I am a greedy republican, you're damn right!!  I watch my husband get up at 4:30 most mornings and get home around 7:30.  I myself get up at 5:30 to get the day started and our kids off to school and myself to work.  It is a crazy busy life and we work really hard, but I love that about us.  It is all I have ever known since I saw and still see my parents (who own a small business) do the same thing every day.  It's what you do.  You work hard to provide a better life for your children and people who NEED the help.  Not the people who were excited by the fact that their child might have a birth defect so they can get and I quote "a big check!"  That is sick people!  And they are PART of the 49% of Americans on some type of government assistance   I, like you I am sure, would live in a box if it meant my child would be healthy.  So if that makes me greedy, then by all means I am a greedy fool!

So what is wrong with our society?  They have lost God, period.  And as jaded as I am becoming I feel myself losing God too because I don't care about people like I should.  Because I want to go around and shake people and tell them to wake up idiot!!!  Now, that's not what Jesus would want me to do, but my goodness these people infuriate me.  Even Jesus, the son of God had a job, he was a carpenter for goodness sake.


We cannot sustain the path we are currently on and will look like Greece in a matter of time.  I welcome comments or arguments to the contrary, but I will prove you wrong.  We live in a great nation and I refuse to believe a majority of Americans have lost God and personal responsibility.  So I will do my part these next four years to work my tail off, pay taxes, try my best to serve others that need it, vote in the mid-term elections, and try to be the best American I can for this country in the hope of turning this ship around.  It is what we should do even if I currently feel like crawling into a hole and emerging 4 years from now hoping to find a better country. So get off your butt America!!!  Go to work and find some time to go to church!  It's not that hard!!!!!!!!!


I am Laura D. Miller and I approve this message.

No comments: