Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pumpkin Patch

I have learned recently that when you have small children the pumpkin patch is a must.  Jackson's first October we went to the one in Caledonia and he could barely sit up.  The next year Matt and I took him to one in Birmingham and he would trip and fall all over the pumpkin rows.
And this year we took the kids to the one in Brandon.  They had a blast!  Seeing the animals, going on a hay ride, climbing on hay, running through the hay maze, and of course picking out a pumpkin.
 So handsome!  This was probably the best picture of Jackson we took.  He is too busy for pictures these days.

We were trying to take their picture in front of a turkey here, but I was scared to put them any closer to the fence.  The turkey was a bit aggressive and tried to bit some people through the fence.  I don't blame him though, he knows the owners of the farm plan on eating him in a month.  I'd be mad too.

The pumpkin patch was fun and was small enough that J-Man didn't have too far to go.  With that said, I started to notice the patch was small and there were not enough pumpkins for everyone we had seen there that day.  Then I noticed the pumpkins were all the same size and shape and they were not connected to the vines.  I figured they hauled them in, but then I saw the truck and trailer with more pumpkins sitting in the wings as we pulled away on the hay ride.
I felt a little like a kid st Disney World seeing someone take off the Mickey costume.  It's all a sham.  Oh well, the kids had fun and that's all that matters.
And since Jackson is a wild little boy, anything round is a ball and should be thrown, right?  Right.  Pick-up the pumpkin and throw it back down!

 Lord help us.

 Then it was on to the corn box.  That was Mary Frances' favorite part!  Finally something her speed.

 Time for more pictures!  And I can't get them to look at the camera.

 This is as close as we got.

And you would think J-Man would smile with his Sheshe.  Nope, I was trying to take a picture so of course not.
 All the 'sham' loot.
And you can see behind Anna and Mary Frances under the covered barn are boxes full of the sham pumpkins.
 I was so hopeful we would get one good picture of both of the kids before we left, but no luck.
 They were too interested in their pumpkins to look at me.

This is Mary Frances tell me to stop taking her picture.  So another year, another pumpkin patch experience and one worn out Mama.  Gran Dan, Sheshe, and Aunt Anna went with us, but Matt was out of town at a conference and couldn't go.  But it's ok, he is going to help us carve the pumpkins one night.

No comments: